Total Pageviews

Friday, July 17, 2009

People Making a Difference in the World

My good friend Kim Jackson, who worked with me on launching the Kelly Hoppen for Century Collection produced a video surrounding a new new venture called "Monkeybiz." This is a business started by her mother that helps poor women in South Africa, many of whom are HIV positive, by providing tools to create art and a means to market it.

The economy--both here and globally-- is awful. While I find myself wallowing in self-pity on ocassion, I am inspired by the courage and can-do spirit of people who are making a real difference in the world. The best kind of difference: empowering women to help themselves, provide creative expression, a sense of community and give them hope. This is the essence of humanity, and what we have lost in our incessant greed for more material things and increased isolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment